Tuesday, May 25, 2010

Highlights from the Royal Institute of Oil Painters Plein Air / Picnic Day



Painters at work, Brocas, Windsor


Yesterday was to me the hottest day this year, so far in the UK and what a day to have plein air painting in the blazing sunlight! Well, that was the atmosphere and spirit in the air when Painters and Friends of the Royal Institute of Oil Painters met for a picnic and painting day. I have always longed to paint with a group of like minded painters and this event fuelled my desire and passion! The location for the day was Brocas, Windsor. This was my first time at Windsor and you bet I'll have to back there painting again! Windsor is simply beautiful and so it is with many other locations in the UK, that remain untapped in terms of painting locations and discoveries for me.



That's me nibbling at my second painting for the day. I ended up producing four pieces. Three during the day and my last one after the refreshments when we all departed. I found it hard to leave. Watch for my posts on each of the paintings I produced


As you know pictures speak louder than words, so some of the pictures below will give you a feel of the day. It started at 10.00am with painters arriving and locating their hotspots and then at 12.45pm we had a picnic/break. We then resumed after an hour to knock off the rest of the paintings and finished at 3.30pm. Then we all met up for refreshments later on.



Peter Wileman's tools of the trade



Edman O'Aivazian was my painting partner and what a great inspiration he turned out to be. He produced a beautiful, vibrant piece in the first half of the day and that was it! He makes it look all so easy with his friendly, funny and casual approach.




David Sandell at work, right in the mood!




This painting by Roger Dellar was knocked off within 90minutes or so, his philosophy remains in his loose impressionistic approach. I was particularly inspired by this piece!




Philip James at work in his fluid painterly style.





Veterans, Peter Wileman(PROI) and Ronald Morgan share some views




Painters and Friends enjoy a picnic

2 comments:

Angela Elledge said...

Adebanji, thank you for posting these photos from your plein air day. I will definitely come back a little later to check out the links you have posted, thanks for the introduction to new artists. The Dellar painting you posted is beautiful and most impressive in that that was 90 minutes of painting, wow!

adebanji said...

Thanks Angela! The Dellar picture doesn't even justify it because it was blazing hot and it affected the vibrant look.