Thursday, February 17, 2011

Sketches on the bus, train and tube in February III



These are some of my recent sketches on public transport. The guy above slept all the way from Toy's R Us on Old Kent Road(SE15) in a Bus 453 to Parliament Square(W1). Now that's a sketchers delight! It's because of opportunities like this, that the sketch hunter MUST have a sketchbook handy, just a pocket size one and a sketching tool (pen, biro, pencil) ready to "fire" at short notice when a great model appears!





Special quote
"At most college-level art schools, instructors take the easy way by letting students do their own thing. Why? Because it'll "stifle your creativity". NONSENSE!
Figure Drawing is really not about learning how to draw the Figure! It's about learning how to make your eye see something, your mind perceive it, and your hand obey.
The human figure is the best subject to practice on, not only because it's endlessly challenging, but because anyone, even you can accurately evaluate your progress.
With a figure drawing, if it looks right, it quite likely IS right.
Clearly it is worth the effort to learn to draw.
Your investment is small, and the payoff comes EVERY TIME you pick up pencil or brush.
I don't know the first thing about a horse's hind end, but I can draw it. A cowboy, or an artist, or anyone, can look at my drawing and say, "That Harley really knows his horses!"
I don't know horses. I just know how to observe a horse. I know how to reproduce what's in front of me.
You can learn it too. Yes, YOU CAN DO IT!
But your eye has to be trained. And the way to train it, is to draw constantly, not to learn how to place muscles, not to do fabric folds, but to learn to SEE what's before you, to SIMPLIFY what you see, and PUT IT DOWN ACCURATELY with as few strokes as possible"- HARLEY BROWN on "DRAWING IS IMPORTANT"

12 comments:

Stephanie Berry said...

That's a great quote. I got back to life drawing last night after months away. It's so true. If it's off--it jumps out at you.

adebanji said...

Great Stephanie! It's a good thing to start life drawing!

pauladrianalcock@gmail.com said...

I agree with Stephanie, that is a great quote, I showed it to my students this afternoon along with your blog sketches as a bit of inspiration and encouragement. Paul - www.paulalcock.co.uk

Jane Hunt said...

Love the quote -always great to be reminded to really SEE our subjects!
Great sketch of the guy sleeping - I always admire the way you're able to create such visual contrast and energy in your drawings.

adebanji said...

Nice one Paul, thanks for spreading the word! We all need a bit of inspiration!

adebanji said...

Thanks Jane! It's passion, nothing but pure passion, we all have it and that's what keeps us going! Thanks God!

Larry said...

Love how you captured the winter doldrums. I recognize those February faces.

adebanji said...

Thanks Larry!

Unknown said...

Wow, amazing work you have here! I am so glad I found your blog. I look forward to seeing more of your work.

adebanji said...

Thanks Tim! I am happy I found your blog too! You have similar sources of inspiration as I do!

Unknown said...

Hi Adebanji,
I couldn't help but notice your work your work is amazing the ideas the thoughts I must ask though what is your work based on?

adebanji said...

Thanks Kammy, they are only based on the love of sketching from life and the love of people! The experience is amazing!!!