Friday, December 10, 2010

Highlights from the Royal Institute of Oil Painters Annual Exhibition 2010 (Main Category)



The President ROI, Peter Wileman opens the 123rd exhibition

This post focuses on just some of the wonderful paintings at the ROI Annual Exhibition currently running at the Mall Galleries. As much as I love making art, I admire the work of other artists too, and I in the nearest future I'll start to build my collection! The whole exhibition had around 260 pieces altogether, it's a feast for the eyes! If you are in London till the 18th, DON'T MISS IT!



Comm. Antonio Carluccio, the Special Guest, who is also a Patron of the ROI, apparently apart from his delicious dishes, he paints too!


ANGELA BRITTAIN



Angela Brittain with her prize winning work- it won the Artist Magazine ROI Award, I won this Prize last year!


BRIAN RYDER Provisional ROI Candidate for Associate Membership



Brian Ryder with his work, at the time I left he had already sold 2 pieces, and while there his book is so popular at the Mall, they had to order 10 more copies as the were running out of stock!



Cows at Cley- This is it! Atmospheric beauty! One of my favourite pieces in the show. Well, I love cows and I could live with this one forever!



CHRIS BENNETT Candidate for Associate Membership



Girl with Lilac Ribbons-Very sensitive piece-Love his delicate build up of colours and his Cezanne like strokes!


DAVID CURTIS ROI RSMA



David Curtis with his works



January 2010, Mission- A masterful handling of a snow scene!



Dawn, Clayworth Wharf- The mood here is what enraptures me!

GEORGE DELVIN ROI



Twilight Thaw- My favourite piece in the show! Just going close reveals a variety of textures, broken colour and wonderful renditions of warm and cool colours to bring out the beauty of snow-it also works as an abstract design, composition wise too!

HASHKIM AKIB



Brick Lane Shoppers- Lovely Colourful Scene, just love the way he uses cubic strokes to throw life into the painting!



IAN SIDAWAY



One of the greatest Art Technique Authors of our day- He makes trees look easy to paint, but here it is down to his superb draughtsmanship!

JULIAN GORDON MITCHELL



Ljubica- A wonderful piece in harmony of red, pink and orange-that's one of my favourites too!


KEN HOWARD OBE RA RWS ROI PPNEAC RBA RWA SGA



The Master with his paintings, no need to go into details, he remains a living legend to the representational art scene today in the UK!

KEN PAINE PS



The knave- Ken is one of my favourites- his pieces are always full of powerful tonal values, which have strong impact!

MARK HARRISON



Cuckmere Haven- Can mood be better exemplified?!

MICHAEL ALFORD


Umbrellas III- Amazing subtle muted grey tones of reflective beauty!

NICHOLAS VERRAL AROI RBA


Great Art Technique book author-The picture doesn't do justice- this piece is alive with abstract designs interwoven into the water, it's poetic!


OLIVER WARMAN RBA Hon. ROI



Exeter Countryside- I looked at this piece and it made me smile the light dancing all over, how refreshing!


PETER BARKER



Winner of the Stanley Grimm Prize- His pieces are so intimate, delicate and detailed-you almost feel you are there!

PETER BROWN NEAC PS ROI



My mentor- I want you to see how carefully he places the figures in this piece-that's not easy-he is a master of it. Can you also see how the tree divides the tree into unequal parts and the branches with the leaves then unite the whole piece!

PETER GRAHAM ROI



He is a master of colour, need I say more?


PETER WILEMAN PROI ARSMA FRSA


This work was SOLD in my presence- a wonderful piece which shows the beauty of Winter in harmonious colours!



Peter and his work!


RICHARD COMBES ROI



Disused Studio- It's the Mood, the Lighting, the mystery in an ordinary setting-He makes it dramatic!


ROBERT WELLS



Berwick Street Market- I know this place and I just love the way Robert adds his spectacular brush strokes of exciting colour to bring the scene to life!


ROGER DELLAR ROI RI PS



Parisian Cafe- It's the figures I like in this one!



Roger with his Prize winning piece!

TITUS AGBARA



Titus and his painting



Tete a tete- This work was completed with a palette knife, Titus has a remarkable technique in which he paints painstakingly details using a palette knife, amazing!

VALERIY GRIDNEV ROI


Detail Natasha- I wanted you to see how simplified this great painter makes it look!



Natasha



Again-look at the simplification of shapes!

5 comments:

Beth said...

Thanks for this look! Like you, my favorite is the George Devlin but there are a lot of beautiful works here! I'd be curious to hear your thoughts on working as a serious representational painter in Britain these days; it's not a fashionable thing in North America, it seems to me, but it remains the art that many people love and want to have in their homes, as well as what motivates many of us to paint...

adebanji said...

Beth, Thanks for taking time to comment- Yes, it is the same in the UK. In the highflying art scene, representational art is still a bit backward, installations and contemporary abstract stuff still prevail BUT representational art still sells, it is still popular and like you said people still love to have them in their houses and it's what motivates us to paint.

There are thousands of representational painters in the UK and I always believe if we are true to our convictions, we'll still make it work anyway. If we put our life into our work. People will see the life and want part of it! I believe life begats life!

Malcolm Allsop said...

Great feature Adebanji. A terrific insight into the work of some fascinating artists. You are so generous with your comments and praise.

adebanji said...

Thanks Malcom! It's just the way I feel when I see paintings I like- once I was in Petley's looking at an artists' exhibition-the lady at the desk said, you must be a deep artist to observe works for that long!

Diane Morgan said...

So enjoyed seeing all the work. Thank you so much for posting all this beauty for us to drool over.