Monday, October 17, 2011

The Making of Rush Hour VIII, 24" x 20", Oil on Canvas, 2011



Rush Hour VIII, 24" x 20", Oil on Canvas, 2011 SOLD


This was one of the paintings I did earlier this year, it was part of the London Paintings Group show I had at Enid Lawson Gallery. I have posted this piece before but not with a few shots of the stages.
This post is just to show the stages I go through to paint a Rush Hour Scene. The sketching is very important and also the ability to paint the shapes of each figure in relation to another. The pictures here are just to reveal the stages with little explanation because I wasn't really planning a demonstration but I normally like to take pictures of different stages while I work, do I can also go back to learn from the process for future work.

STEP 1



The canvas is toned with brownish orange, a warm colour, I purposely wanted this colour to show through. I did the sketches with Tom Bow Wash Felt Marker.


STEP 2



I added more figures with a darker marker. All brown to match the same colour scheme.

STEP 3



The painting starts from the figures at the back and gradually sneak forward to the figures in the foreground.

STEP 4



All figures connected.

SPECIAL QUOTE
"You must draw with the Brush"-John Singer Sargent-(one of my all time favourite painters)

18 comments:

Azra said...

I am in absolute awe of your talent Adebanji!! The process only underlines how difficult it must be to capture such a scene.

adebanji said...

Thanks Azra!

Art, Love and Life said...

Thank you again for sharing the way you work... you are an inspiration.

adebanji said...

Thanks Ray!

Victoria on Okinawa said...

Thank you for sharing your process and the final painting is awesome! It simply amazes me the ability you have to capture a moment in time with simplicity that God has given you.

adebanji said...

Thanks Victoria! To God be the glory!

Marlene Lee said...

Amazing painting....to be able to capture all those people....and thanks for sharing your process

adebanji said...

Marlene, thanks!

JaneA said...

I really love the image for 'step three.' It really pushes the boundaries of perspective because some of the people are finished and others unfinished. It almost becomes an optical illusion. You are so talented. Great blog.

adebanji said...

Thanks JaneA!

Juliet said...

amazing work.You have an individual way of painting,you convey the people as solid beings and there's lots of atmosphere in this picture.

adebanji said...

Thanks Juliet!

steve strode said...

Always nice to see how others painters go about their work Adebanji, it's good to peek behind the curtain of Oz. All the best, Steve.

adebanji said...

Thanks Steve!

Marius Barbu said...

O excelenta realizare! Imi place si prezentarea etapelor creatiei! Multumim, salutari!

adebanji said...

Thanks Marius!

Under the willow tree said...

I really love your style of painting. It gives away all types of emotions..you are very talented Adebanji..thanks for sharing the steps with us.

adebanji said...

Thanks so much Elaine!