Thursday, April 07, 2011

BIG ISSUE SERIES XVIII

This is a continuation of my series of Big Issue Sellers in London and Bath. This particular seller had one of the faces that is a dream to draw for portrait lovers. You could take one look at him and he'd take your artistic breath away! The guys that sell these Big Issue Magazines are homeless but this gives them something to gain extra cash.

This was done on a museum mount board prepared with gesso. I drew with pastels and coloured pencils.



Big Issue Seller XVIII, 8" x 10", Mixed media, 2011

My main goal was capture that mixed look of hope and uncertainty in his eyes.

Special Quote
"I had a teacher years ago(George Bridgeman)who made us draw hundreds of skulls in all positions. I felt he was overdoing it at the time but now I realize what a wonderful lesson he taught us. Whenever I draw a head, I instinctively feel the skull structure beneath."- Norman Rockwell on the Importance of Head Structure.

6 comments:

Unknown said...

Looks Great!

V. Deshmukh said...

Wow! What a lovely portrait, so full of character. Great use of the pastels too.

adebanji said...

Thanks Tim!

adebanji said...

Thanks Vinayak!

Anonymous said...

You really did capture the mixed look in his eyes. Great job.

adebanji said...

Thanks NoviceArtist!