Thursday, January 01, 2009

Esta Bee, 8" x 10", Acrylic on gessoed card, 2009

Now its always good to start the New Year knowing you've fulfilled some promises and this one was one of them.


I had promised this lovely lady her portrait for ages and I always has one excuse or the other, why it wasn't ready but this time it was not to be on the excuse shelf -it is done and dusted! She likes it and I am so happy to deliver!





This was done with a contemporary feel of design where all the colours of both the fabric and the person are tied as one. I used acrylic- a medium I seem to have fallen in love with for a while because I work more from home and it is harmless, dries fast and is forgiving!

12 comments:

John Vander Stelt said...

I'm glad to hear I'm not the only person who struggles with commissions that get "set aside" for any number of excuses. I am trying to clean up my excuse work too as I begin 2009. Best wishes in the new year.

adebanji said...

Thanks John, funny enough this wasn't even a commission, just a nice gift for a friend.... but it when on and on as a dream gift in fantasy world that would never be received. Thank God it's done now. I 've got one more of those to go on my excuse shelf!

Robin Weiss said...

A fine portrait, and a good promise kept!...Now I must get to mine!....

adebanji said...

Thanks Robin, Its great to see you've got down to yours!

Krystyna81 said...

what a fabulous piece...I've always enjoyed painting/drawing darker skin tones...the blue high lights are luminous. this is wonderful.

adebanji said...

Thanks Krystyna81! Your comments are highly appreciated!

Anonymous said...

I love the modern feel of this one! Did you paint the background or leave it blank? Stunning piece.

adebanji said...

Thanks Silvina! I left it white as I painted directly on the white gessoed card but when I finished I still went over with some white cos I had messed up some areas with my finger prints.

Edward Burton said...

A really beautiful portrait, Adebanji! I love the light you captured, the reflections in her dark glasses and her Mona Lisa-like smile. Well done! I also LOVE the portrait that Alice Thompson painted of you - very insightful and a remarkable job.

adebanji said...

Thanks Ed, Your comments are highly appreciated, yes, Alice did do a good job!

Never knew she had a monalisa like smile until you said so!

J said...

That is a fantastic portrait.

adebanji said...

Thanks HAJiME!