Tuesday, December 02, 2008

Faces, Statues and Pots, 7" x 11", Graphite, 2008

This is my entry into Karin Jurick's different strokes from different folks.




I used to use this opportunity to experiment and explore my love for graphite and just the simple possibilities of seeing shapes and faces where they don't really exist. Sometimes this happens when we look at cracks in walls and shapes in clouds. Then because the scene had a pot, I decided to see more pots in spaces.
I substituted the flowers in the scenery for faces that had an oriental feel to it. Then I added a hand to one of the pots showing that as human beings, we are all a work in progress.

There are so many different versions of the set up. It would be great to have a look!

7 comments:

Alice Thompson said...

Poetic and moving Adebanji. I've always felt that items handcrafted with great skill or sacrifice/love, like a painting or even a piece of pottery will somehow have a remnant energy of the person/spirit who crafted it.

Therefore when I purchase a piece of art I sense that I am allowing the energy of the spirit from that artist/crafter into my home...
because of this I must be careful.

Your inner vision is keen!

adebanji said...

Thanks Alice! I have high regard for your comments, Wow!.....I have always said this but I must say it again,"you have a deep deep heart and piercing perception!"

WhyIstheRumAlwaysGone said...

You always surprise us! I was eagerly waiting to see what your take would be on this one... it was difficult to be original and not turn this picture into something too smooth, or into a decorative postcard-like thing... so I really admire what you've done!

dominique eichi said...

Yes, we are all works in progress , Beautiful interpretation. And yes I agree with you about Alice her insight are very sharp. God bless

adebanji said...

Thanks so much WITRAG! You are one great fan!I hope to start selling some pieces soon, hope you'll pick one up!

Thanks Dominique!

Marianne Ginsberg said...

This is my favorite interpretation to the "Buddha and Hydrangeas" challenge. Congratulations. Who takes the photos of you sketching and taking classes?

adebanji said...

Thanks Marianne! I just ask anyone around to snap me and they are happy to help, cos I know I'll need them for the blog.